Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Work Space


I think work spaces are one of the most difficult areas to design. Papers, files, notes, pencils, pens, markers, telephone, fax, computer, scanner, books, references.... the list goes on and on. How do you organize all of these necessities and still make it appealing to the eye? In my career, this is often a question I have been asked by clients, friends, family... even myself. The first answer is storage (and a bit of OCD to keep everything in its place!). However, everyone knows when they need extra storage, it's a question of where to come up with it and how and what should it look like and do I purchase furniture or build built-ins and oh my gosh I don't know what to do!?!?

Here's what I tell my clients:
1) go through all of your "stuff" and divide into piles what you need on a daily basis and what you only use every so often.
2) donate and trash anything you don't use or haven't used in the past year. This step is difficult to do, even for me and the Hubbs. Ask yourself "when was the last time I used this?" "when will I need this?" "does this serve a purpose?" Then answer honestly.
3) File. File. File. If you keep an organized file cabinet, it's easier to file papers as they come. This is so hard for me! I definitely have to work to keep up with paperwork, but my life is much easier when I take 10 minutes every week to file. It's also easier when I'm looking for a paper and it's right there where it should be. Divide your files with clear labels, large folders, and if you have a lot of files, think about splitting up your files between separate cabinets or drawers.
4) Invest in storage and organizational items like boxes, baskets, shelving, drawer dividers, and my fav - a label maker. They are your friends and will make staying organized easy. Ikea, Target, Wallmart and Michaels are great places to find these items. You can even find snazzy colorful and patterned storage that aren't expensive.
5) Once everything has a place and is in it...keep it there! When you take something out to use it, put it away as soon as you are done. This is a key piece in the organizational puzzle. It keeps items out of your immediate work space and saves you time looking for something because you don't know where you put it!

Here are some inspirational work space photos!


bulletin boards are great for posting notes, pictures, and other small
items that might get lost and clutter your space


love all the cups for pens, pencils, scissors, etc.





What does your work space look like? I'd love to hear about how you organize.

No comments:

Post a Comment